Tuesday 20 June 2017

Why Has Windy Nook Turned Its Back on Paradise?

Croduce Square, The Stead, Howard Street, Union Street, Albion Street Back, Paradise Place are the Windy Nook's lost streets, at one time serviced, not just by a big Co-operative Store but by the Bay Horse, the Club (now Sutherland's) and the now long gone Hare and Hounds pub.
Don't get me wrong. I love the pond and wooded area behind the Methodist Church and Sutherland's but some of it could be retained and still have houses. Let's face it, next to it there'd still be a massive and magnificent green space that was once a very deep quarry and until we learn how to build on former quarries that great big dog walking area will remain.

If you a house builder, I suggest you take a butchers and I'm sure you'd not only be inspired to rebuild Paradise, but see the opportunity to make a bob or two, as well. Please price in 10% for yours truly for the heads up.
Here's a bigger view of the map to get you started


I have found a teeny weeny obstacle in the small print. The British Trust for Conservation Volunteers could scupper my fund swelling ruse

1 comment:

  1. It was lovely to see a map with Union Street on it as my parents lived at number 20 for a while and I can just about remember seeing men and lorries obviously working in the quarry, I must have been about 18months to 2years old round about 1947 ish.
    Also my Grandma lived on the Drive and her garden also backed on to a quarry.
    As for the Hare and Hounds pub, my Grandmas sister run it for a long while.

    ReplyDelete